The Randy Barker Medical Group (RBMG) aspires to be the premier educational laboratory for internal medicine residents to learn and practice evidence-based, patient-centered primary care medicine.
Top notch primary care delivered by internal medicine residents and their faculty coaches
RBMG is the primary outpatient practice for medicine residents in the Johns Hopkins Bayview Internal Medicine Residency.
As a resident clinic within a ‘Level 3 Patient-centered Medical Home’, it is the place where residents learn:
- to evaluate and manage complex patients with a range of medical problems & social struggles
- physical exam skills essential to the practice of outpatient internal medicine
- to address health maintenance issues for adult patients
- to work collaboratively with various members of an interprofessional care team
- to collaborate with and cover for primary care colleagues
Bottom line: coaching and sharing a practice with residents makes me a better doctor. Our residents inspire me and they teach me; they challenge me to remain curious.
Real coaching translates into major growth for learners
The 48 internal medicine residents collectively care for >2500 medically and socially complex patients under the guidance of dedicated primary care faculty coaches.
Through direct observation, real-time feedback, inter-visit collaboration, and structured formative evaluations, residents learn the following from coaches:
- to communicate effectively – both to understand details & perspectives, as well as to educate and counsel patients and caregivers
- to efficiently acquire information necessary for formulating clinical questions
- to engage patients in shared decision-making
- to accurately document for care provided in the EMR
The future is bright for our trainees and the practice
In building on our successes, in 5 years we expect to:
- Graduate even more primary care providers
- Increase intensity & frequency of direct observation, coaching, & feedback
- Further improve and enhance the continuity experience for residents
- Enhance the wellness of the population that we serve